Archive | Project 1: Glove Keyboard RSS for this section

One last Glove Keyboard Video

I was just about to start taking apart my Glove Keyboard project so I could use the Arduino in my Tattoo Machine project when I realized that I never made a final Glove Keyboard video showing it working.

I never actually put the time into learning how to use it, so the video just goes through me pressing all of the combinations of buttons resulting in gibberish. The camera was being held between my neck and my chin and it does in fact fall about halfway through the video.

Notes:
1) The pinky finger on my right had has a large sized ring on it so that is why it is awkwardly placed. The connection on my original pinky finger ring must have come loose at some point in the last few days.
2) A few seconds after the video camera drops to my lap I switch the toggle allowing me to type in capital letters and more symbols, so there are only half as many key combinations as you see me pressing
3) This video finally shows me closing out of Processing and opening up the text file that it creates, but it only shows it for about a second at the very end of the video.

How to Put on the Glove Keyboard

This video sped up x4 to show how to put on the final Glove Keyboard. It would probably help to use some better quality double sided tape to keep the wrist pieces on. The total time (at 1x speed) is 9:33, and it was exhausting.

This is the final post for this project. I have made a fully functional Glove Keyboard that does both upper and lower case letters as well as numbers 0-9 and a hand full of important symbols and punctuation. I cannot press delete, enter, shift, alt, ctrl, or any other button that isn’t a letter but for what I was planning I think this is enough.

I could go further with this project, but this was really just supposed to be a practice and a learning experience which will help me with my future projects. Stay tuned for Project 2!

Final Design

ImageWhile I am waiting for the other wrist piece to print, I thought I would share some close up stills of my finished right hand. The wrist piece is connected to the breadboard via double sided tape and it feels pretty good. 

Overall the design is comfortable, and because I decided to remove the wire control pieces and just have the tips with buttons, I actually have the ability to bend my fingers a little bit.

Read More…

The Code

I have decided not to put this up on Instructables because there are already a few projects like this one out there. This project was really just more of a test to see if I could do it, not to actually have other people build it. I will keep this blog updated and if anyone asks for the .stl files to print their own I will gladly give it to them.

I have cleaned up the code enough to the point where I feel it is suitable for me to share it. The Arduino code was written on 1.0.4 and the Processing was done on 32 bit 2.0b9, for some reason the 64 bit wouldn’t read the serial port. Click more for the code. 

Read More…

Minor Update

I have reworked the left breadboard to accommodate a toggle switch so now I have the ability to type capital letters and also use a few more symbols and punctuation.

I recently went back to the ASETNIOP chord keyboard page to read exactly what their thought process on why they created it, and they had a really good description that I thought I would share.

Read More…

Hello World!

Now that I have one hand all laid out, I will need to print and solder the rings for my right hand. It will make taking more videos like this difficult, but hopefully I will still be able to show you my progress.

Right now the text is showing up in the processing terminal, however in the video I forgot to close out of processing and show that it was written to a text file as well.

Normally the “hello world!” that I typed in this video is written “Hello World!” however I don’t have any capital letters yet. Hopefully I will be able to add that option with a simple toggle switch that will stay on the breadboard rather than on one of my figers. The switch will also allow me to add many more symbols and punctuation.

I am still balancing the breadboard on my wrist as I still haven’t designed a ring for that to sit on, but that is the only semi-difficult thing to do before I finish this project.

Final Button Layout

ImageI haven’t really addressed the button layout since I started the project, so here is an updated version of what each finger does. I have given my left thumb (finger 1) the ability to be pressed in unison with any other button on my left hand. This has given me the ability to add the letters “Q” and “Z” as well as numbers 0-9 and a few punctuation marks. I had some problems with repeating letters, but I have figured that out so it works very smoothly now.

Soldering UPDATE

I now have the tools needed to solder, but I will need to go back and redesign and print the finger tip rings with a hole in the back. I was hoping to finish the project by the end of this week, however now I am looking at a few more days of testing. I also still need to design and test the wrist connection for the breadboard.

Frustrated with Glove Keyboard

As I mentioned in my last post not all the connections were working properly, so the Glove Keyboard only had one or two functioning buttons at a time. However I put all the rings on my fingers and set up the camera and started to record without any prior testing. So here, for your amusement, is my growing confusion and frustration at my first attempt at using the keyboard. Enjoy.

Wired Buttons

Wired Buttons

I wired all the buttons up, but not all of the connections were working so I will need to go back and solder all the connections together.